At Smithdon High School we are proud of our students’ presentation and schoolwear. We believe that wearing a uniform is a badge of pride: it is part of our school identity and allows students to feel part of our strong community. By wearing our uniform correctly our students are all presented equally and can begin to understand the importance of respect within an organisation.
Please find details below regarding our Smithdon school uniform. Our school blazer, tie, skirt and jumper are purchased through the school shop. All other items can be purchased from regular school suppliers.
Please read our clear expectations carefully beforehand to ensure that money is not wasted on items that will not be accepted. If you are at all unsure or have any questions please do get in touch.
You will also find a list of equipment in this section: all students are expected to bring the basic equipment with them every day. There are also some recommended items that students may find useful.
If you need financial support in purchasing school uniform and/or supplies please contact the school finance office who will be happy to give advice and support.
- Navy blazer with school badge embroidered on the breast pocket (from school supply) must be worn at all times around the school site. Blazers may be removed in classrooms with the class teacher’s permission. In hot weather, the Headteacher may give permission for blazers to be carried instead of worn.
- Navy school ‘clip-on’ tie (from school supply).
- Grey full length tailored trousers** – no jeans, chinos, cords, skinny trousers, leggings or jeggings.
- Grey knee length skirt (from school supply), with plain black or grey tights or black socks.
- Plain white formal shirt (stiff collared, buttoned to collar and tucked in).
- Navy V-neck jumper which is optional (from school supply).
- Plain black socks.
- Black school shoes – no trainers or shoes with sports logo, no high heels, platforms, sling backs or backless shoes (maximum heel height 5cm). Shoes need to be safe to wear in a variety of school environments.
- Outdoor coats (to and from school).
- No sweatshirts, hooded sweatshirts, denim or leather jackets.
- If a belt needs to be worn (through belt loops), it must be plain black without motifs, embellishments or decoration.
** Trousers deemed appropriate by Smithdon High School are available for purchase via our website. School trousers can be purchased from other suppliers. However, if the trousers worn by a student are considered unsuitable or inappropriate and a suitable alternative cannot be sourced from elsewhere, parents/carers will be directed to buy the trousers we have available through our website.
The school reserves the right to make the final decision on the suitability and/or appropriateness of the school trousers worn by Smithdon students.
- Piercings – no visible body/facial piercings or retainers including tongue piercings and ear ‘tunnels’ are to be worn.
- One small pair of plain stud earrings may be worn but must be removed to allow pupils to participate in PE.
- No rings, necklaces or bracelets are to be worn (Medical necklace/bracelets are allowed).
- Pupils may wear a wristwatch.
- Light make-up may be worn but must be discreet.
- No false eyelashes.
- Hair may not be dyed bright or ‘unnatural colours’.
- No nail varnish.
- Acrylic/Gel/Nexgen nails or tips are not allowed in school. This is a Health & Safety risk.
Every day students must be prepared to learn with the correct basic equipment: pen, pencil, ruler, rubber, they may also find coloured pencils useful. For Maths lessons a compass and protractor will be required.
A scientific calculator is now a compulsory piece of school equipment and students are required to have one with them at all times.
Students are expected to have a reading book with them at all times.
We discourage students bringing mobile phones, Ipods, smart watches etc onto school site. If these are brought into school it is at the risk of the owner and must be switched off between the hours of 8.30am – 3.00pm.
Purchasing School Uniform
Learner Support Fund - Application for Uniform Assistance
The Learner Support Fund is a discretionary source of financial help available to all registered full time Academy students. The aim of the Fund is to help students who have difficulties in paying for certain items necessary to facilitate their education, and the purchasing of school uniform is one of those items.
If you think you may be eligible for the Learner Support Fund to purchase school uniform from our shop then please click the link below to download the criteria and the application form:
For further information and assistance on other areas of eligibility please contact the school direct on 01485 534541